GI Bleeding Surgery

The best GI Bleeding Surgery can be treated as an emergency case with patients presenting with massive blood vomiting called haematemesis. There are many causes for the bleeding and out of them; the most common is cirrhosis of liver and ulcer disease. In 90% of the patients, bleeding stops on its own and the remaining 10% will either require endoscopic treatment or sometimes surgery to effectively stop the bleeding. Emergency surgery in these patients proves to be life saving.

Cirrhosis is common in people who consume alcohol or suffer from chronic affliction of liver with hepatitis B or C infection. This hardens the liver which results in increased portal pressure and portal hypertension. These patients present with bleeding from esophageal varices (swollen veins in the food pipe). Endoscopic variceal ligation is best option to choose for the treatment if all other measures fail. This type of surgery is not recommended for people with poor liver condition.

Portal vein thrombosis or non-cirrhotic portal fibres is associated with non-cirrhotics that form a large component of GI bleeding. Patients with preserved liver condition do very well after surgery.

Surgical treatment is recommended for patients who present with intermittent vomiting of blood or passing malena for a permanent cure for bleeding. In non-cirrhotic patients, the surgery is performed in the form of a splenorenal shunt or splenectomy with devascularisation in cirrhotic patients. The patients who bleed from a duodenal ulcer will be considered as emergency case and require under-running of the bleeder or a partial gastrectomy.

On-time surgery done properly without any delay can save many lives

Hernia surgery

Inguinal/Femoral hernia
Ventral hernia
Incisional hernia
Epigastric hernia